Ringing at Merryfield 2nd - 4th June

Ringers are asked to contribute items of best practice or ringing related issues and activities for further discussion.
roger dickey

Ringing at Merryfield 2nd - 4th June

Postby roger dickey » Tue May 09, 2017 8:49 pm

A repeat appearance and similar format to May's successful weekend.

Meet after 4:00pm on Friday at RNAS Merryfield where the Guard will be expecting us. I will draw the keys to the compound then and so drive straight through to the secure area. The programme will be:

Friday 2nd June

16:00 – 17:00 put up tents and shake out

18:00 – 20:00 put up nets (10) in the north half of the airfield, furl and return for a shower if necessary.

20:30 – 22:00 visit local pub for supper.

Saturday 3rd June

05:00 Open nets

14:00 – 15:00 take down nets

16:00 – 18:00 put up nets and furl on south side of airfield

18:00 Check Barn Owl boxes

19:00 Join OC Merryfield for a drink at his CAMPEX.

20:00 Drive to pub for supper.

Sunday 4th June

05:00 Open nets and ring until late lunchtime.

14:00 Return to clear tents, clean up and return keys.

I will provide coffee, tea, sugar and milk for brews plus some basic cleaning materials. Please bring your own snacks and lunch, beer, wine, whisky, folding chair and personal ringing kit. A fridge will be available for essentials such as beer. A car will be made available to ferry people back to the secure area for loos, hot brews etc.

I will provide poles, nets, guys, bird bags, ringing kit, rings but additional poles and bags are always welcome.

Any queries, please get back to me.

roger dickey

Re: Ringing at Merryfield 2nd - 4th June

Postby roger dickey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 am

A great weekend despite the rain coming in at times and stopping play.

Over 100 birds processed between showers and 2 Nightingales (one with a French ring). Juveniles now taking ascendancy with Great Tits at the top of the pile. Barn Owls have reoccupied the Jackdaw box.

Many thanks to Julia Springett, Andrew Bray and David Morgan for their hard work and company, and of course, OC Merryfield Malcolm Goram for permission to ring.

Last Nightingale session is 23 - 25 June. Detail on separate notice.

Return to “Ringing within the Services ”