In transit

Richards reports, mostly from Camp Bastion. Now a closed site (until he gets back!)

Moderator: roger dickey

Lesser Spot Finder

In transit

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:31 pm

A longer than expected delay in Kandahar proved useful and a short birding trip to the settling pond near the RSOI accommodation was a great respite from the excessive coffee drinking in Tim Hortons and the Green Bean Cafe! A Little Grebe dived continuously around the margins which contained five Black-winged Stilts, three juvenile White-tailed Plovers, a lifer, one Broad-billed Sandpiper, several Temminck's Stints, three Green Sandpipers, one Ruff and five Red-necked Phalaropes. The Phalaropes were a surprise in such numbers but, having checked literature over the weekend, are not uncommon during passage in Central Asia. Cirtine and Masked Wagtails fed around the only patch of vegetation and two Common Mynas were present at the airfield.

The decompression stopover in Cyprus, albeit short, was a welcome break with the first introduction to alcohol in three months. A morning walk, with a hangover, around the inside of Bloodhound Camp found one Isabelline Wheatear, two Northern Wheatears, several House Sparrows, hundreds of European Bee-Eaters, several Chukar, one Whinchat, two Chiffchaffs and many Eleanorer's Falcons overhead.

Two Griffon Vultures, three Cyprus Warblers, one Cetti's Warbler, many Jackdaws, one Collared Dove and three Wood Pigeons were around Tunnel Beach. The journey to RAF Akrotiri saw three Red-Footed Falcons, one male, one Turtle Dove, several Hooded Crows and, on arrival at the airfield, a very obliging Cyprus Pied Wheatear was present at the terminal.

I am now back in the UK and have started the process of 'normalisation' by visiting the London Wetland Centre! The POSM process will continue with vigour on Thursday when I depart, along with CAOS members, to Texel. I look forward to seeing you all there.

Richard

Return to “Camp Bastion Birding (now closed)”